Saturday, 27 April 2013

Trip to WWT Barnes - 23rd April.

Weather: Warm and sunny with blue skies. Some cloud later on.

Birds seen:
Great Crested Grebe; Little Grebe; Cormorant; Grey Heron; Mute Swan; Bewick's Swan; Greylag Goose; Barnacle Goose; Canada Goose; Egyptian Goose; Mallard; Wigeon; Shoveler; Gadwall; Teal; Pintail; White-headed Duck; Ferruginous Duck; Tufted Duck; Pochard; Red-crested Pochard; Mandarin Duck; Wood Duck; Eider; Goldeneye; Smew; Sparrowhawk; Moorhen; Coot; Lapwing; Redshank; Black-headed Gull; Herring Gull; Lesser Black-backed Gull; Great Black-backed Gull; Woodpigeon; Feral Pigeon; Collared Dove; Ring-necked Parakeet; Green Woodpecker; Sand Martin; Pied Wagtail; Wren; Robin; Blackbird; Song Thrush; Cetti's Warbler (H); Reed Warbler (H); Blackcap; Chiffchaff; Goldcrest; Blue Tit; Great Tit; Long-tailed Tit; Starling; Magpie; Jay; Jackdaw; Raven; Carrion Crow; Chaffinch; Goldfinch (H).
Total: 62

Captive Birds seen:
Black-bellied Whistling Duck; Black Swan; Bufflehead; Canvasback; Chestnut Teal; Chinese (eastern) Spot-bill; Chloe Wigeon; Comb Duck; Coscoroba Swan; Eyton's Whistling Duck; Falcated Duck; Hardhead; Hooded Merganser; Lesser White-fronted Goose; Marbled Teal; Muskovy Duck; Nene Goose; Red-breasted Goose; White-faced Whistling Duck; White-winged Duck.
Total: 31

Plus: Asian Short-clawed Otters.
Plus: Brimstone; Common Blue; Peacock.

Bad journey in. Fell flat on my face trying to run for the train. Cuts on knees, elbows, hand and also scratched my spectacles. I was pleasantly surprised when 3 guys came to my aid. Plus the train driver held up the train for me AND asked if I was ok. Only my pride was hurt.
Mandarin Duck

I got to the Reserve just before 10, via the usual route down and left via the usual route back.

It was a gloriously sunny, warm day which allowed me to take off my fleece, which left me wearing just two layers today.

Brimstone
Plenty of people about plus lots of school children. A bit noisy but not too much of a problem.


I tried the Wildside route first, this time taking a different route round. The summer route was also open and it was a pleasant walk around the area, taking plenty of photos.

Nothing new seen today, that I haven't seen before, but I was taking lots of shots and enjoying the sunshine.

Bewick's Swan
I broke for lunch - bringing my own for the first time today. Just before that I wanted to clean my hands with the dry soap I had brought with me. Only I had forgotten to pick it up when I visited the toilets earlier. Amazingly it was still there, albeit half of it had gone!

After lunch I walked around the Hide Side seeing 3 Redshank; Sparrowhawk and Goldcrest. There were plenty of Warblers about and singing but I only managed to see a lone Blackcap.

A few butterflies about today, mainly Brimstones. No dragons or damsels yet or my favourites, the Shield Bugs. But there were plenty of bees and thousands of midges. The Otters even sat still long enough for a couple of cute shots.

Bluebells were seen today, on the route between the station and the Reserve, but not as many as last year. On the way back to the station I spotted a Song Thrush and a Green Woodpecker.

All in all it was a very nice day out and good to be in the sun again. And yes, I did still get a red nose despite lots of sun block.

A few more photos of the day:

Lesser White-fronted Goose
Pintail
Red-crested Pochard
Wigeon
Eider
The first of the ducklings.
Mute Swan losing its' head!
Chinese Spot-bill