Friday, 3 May 2013

Rye Meads - 3rd May 13


Weather: Warm, sunny, blue skies.

Birds seen:
Little Grebe; Cormorant; Little Egret; Grey Heron; Mute Swan; Shelduck; Canada Goose; Mallard; Shoveler; Gadwall; Teal; Tufted Duck; Pochard; Buzzard; Kestrel; Hobby; Pheasant; Moorhen; Coot; Little Ringed Plover; Black-headed Gull; Lesser Black-backed Gull; Common Tern; Woodpigeon; Kingfisher; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Wren; Dunnock; Robin; Blackbird; Song Thrush (H); Cetti's Warbler; Reed Warbler (H); Sedge Warbler; Blackcap (H); Chiffchaff; Blue Tit; Great Tit; Long-tailed Tit; Magpie; Jay; Carrion Crow; Chaffinch; Goldfinch; Greenfinch; Reed Bunting (H).
Total: 46

Plus: Brimstone; Holly Blue; Orange Tip; Peacock; Small Tortoiseshell Butterflies.

Another very warm day with a very light breeze. No rain again and I hear that a drought has been forecast for May. We'll see.

It started out pretty good today. I spotted a Treecreeper fly in on to a tree behind me whilst waiting for a train. On the train journey itself there was a Grey Heron flying alongside. When we left Harlow we caught up and passed it again. It might have been using the tracks as guidance. And while I was waiting for the connection from Broxbourne I heard a Cuckoo. On the walk around to the Reserve a Sedge Warbler flew up and landed high up on a bush not five metres away from me. All this and I hadn't even got to the Reserve yet.

Inside the Reserve itself it was all a case of apple and pairs. I saw a pair of Buzzards; Kestrels; Hobbys and Kingfishers. The apple was for lunch!

From the Draper Hide there were Little Egret; Little Grebe; Grey Heron; a Common Tern; a Jay; a pair of Shelduck and a Little Ringed Plover. Along the trails there were plenty of Warblers singing, mainly Chiffchaff and Sedge.

Little Grebe
From the Tern Hide there were 5 more Shelduck; from the Gadwall Hide not much else besides BHGs; Coots and Tufties. Even less from the Ashby Hide.

Coot
But there were plenty of butterflies about today, I spotted at least 5 species, the highlight being a lone Small Tortoiseshell. There were also plenty of people about too, all very friendly. That's what a little sunshine does!

Tufted Duck
When I reached the Kingfisher Hide I expected it to be standing room only again. So I was mildly surprised to find a spare seat available. The Kestrels were in their usual box, I even witnessed them mating. The Kingfishers were present on quite a few occasions, giving some great flying displays over the pond. I also eventually saw a GSW after hearing it for over an hour. Pochards and Coots were also present and were squabbling constantly. When I eventually returned a little later I opted to try the lower level to try and get a different perspective. Unfortunately the door didn't close properly and the breeze from the open window kept on opening it. A little irritating.

Pochard
I also made a flying visit to the Warbler Hide, where I had lunch (apple) and saw the (pair) of Hobbys displaying. A Grey Heron flew past and there were also plenty of Sedge and Reed Warblers in amongst the reeds.

Another very good day out. As was the apple.